Guest post by Katrina Evans
Nutrition is an important part of all diets but it becomes even more important for cancer patients. Whether it’s dealing with breast cancer, prostate cancer or lung cancer, patients have a few factors going against their health physically and emotionally so, it is important to try and build up the body and give it the right nutrients it needs to fight the cancer. Thankfully there are quite a few foods that are known to help those fighting cancer and provide the extra benefit of nourishing the body and allowing it to fight the cancer even more.
Food makes us feel good. Besides tasting great and nourishing the body, food also has an influence on appetite and moods. Research shows that certain foods affect powerful mood-modifying brain chemicals called neurotransmitters. By following nutrient dense guidelines, we program our bodies to emotionally feel up to the task of kicking cancer to the curb and responding to health threats more effectively. These neurotransmitters are made from the foods we eat so finding the right nutrients and foods to treat cancer is the key.
It is as easy as heading to one’s local grocery store. While there isn’t one magic food to help with everything, by combining foods and eating a wide variety of healthy products it can provide antioxidants and foods that have cancer fighting properties included. Check these out pulled straight from the “Guide to Healthful Eating” provided by the National Cancer Institute.
- Avocados are a great cancer fighting food because they contain a strong antioxidant called glutathione that blocks the intestines from absorbing certain fats and also are a better source of potassium then bananas.
- Cauliflower, broccoli, and cabbage contain a chemical component in them that is called indole-3-carbinol and has been used to help with breast cancer fighting because it can convert estrogen that is cancer-promoting into a better variety. Broccoli also has sulforaphane which is used by the body to deactivate free radicals and carcinogens.
- Carrots are full of beta-carotene which has been proven to help reduce a wide range of cancers. They also contain falcarinol in them that reduce the risk of cancer as well.
- Garlic has been shown to block carcinogens from entering cells and slow tumor development.
- Papaya fruit is a great source of vitamin C which provides antioxidants to the body but it also helps reduce the body’s absorption of nitrosamines which are cancer-causing.
These are just some of the examples of foods that can be used to help in fighting cancer. Most doctors will agree that there isn’t any one food that will help to eliminate cancer but by eating a healthy diet and focusing on unprocessed food, it will benefit and build a stronger body for recovery.
Katrina Evans is a recent college graduate and aspiring writer especially fascinated with health and wellness. She enjoys making a difference in people’s lives providing whatever support she can observing how devastating cancer can be for people and their families. Katrina also likes working out, gardening and listening to cool podcasts.